|Open Society Foundation (OSF) Part-Time Senior Accountant Job|
The Accounting team works as a global unit with staff in Open Society Foundations (OSF) hub offices in New York, Budapest, London, Barcelona and Brussels. In addition to supporting these offices, we also support offices in Washington DC, Baltimore, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Mexico City, Singapore, and future regional offices currently in the pipeline.
The Accounting team is delineated into US and European Accounting teams where the US team supports the US legal entities and the Europe team supports the Non-US legal entities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands: Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
The Senior Accountant is a part time position based in New York who will work closely with the Accounting Manager on accounting matters such as financial, accounting, tax and audit schedule preparation for various entities, and preparing analysis for assigned accounts. They will also assist the Accounting Manager with advising staff on accounting policies and procedures. Work is performed independently/under general supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly analysis schedules for all assigned entities due to and from OSI accounts;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly analysis schedules for all assigned entities;
- Prepare monthly OSI billing invoices for service agreement charges to other entities;
- Analyze, on a monthly basis, balance sheets and income statement accounts to ensure data integrity across assigned entities;
- Prepare journal entries (regular, intercompany and adjusted), as needed;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation for all assigned entities;
- Reconcile petty cash accounts for all assigned entities, if any;
- Run ad hoc reports from financial systems as needed (detail transaction reports, et al);
- Serve as Finance Department liaison for OSI staff;
- Back up other Accounting colleagues, as needed;
- Support Accounting Manager, as needed;
- Assist Manager with preparation of schedules for tax returns;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Senior Accountant should have at least five years of experience working in an accounting department of a company or in public accounting with increasing responsibilities over those years and a firm understanding of US GAAP. The ideal candidate must have a high-level of self-motivation, ability to set and meet goals, while working comfortably in a dynamic environment where tasks may change due to changing demands and initiatives. They must be willing to work overtime during month end and year end close periods. Experience with private foundation accounting and taxation and exposure to grants processing is a plus.
- Manage work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, research financial data, troubleshoot and follow through on projects to completion, possess strong attention to detail, while meeting strict deadlines;
- Exercise good listening and excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research and database management;
- Must be able to exercise critical thinking skills including good judgment and be a solutions-oriented individual.
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- Provide excellent customer service with a pleasant disposition and diplomatic manner when interacting with colleagues and the general public;
- Familiarity with OSF’s entity structure preferred;
- Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization;
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) with a major in Accounting from a four year accredited college or university;
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role is typically required to develop the skills required for this role;
- Knowledge and understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
- Exposure to Grants processing and/or familiarity;
- CPA preferred;
- Knowledge of General Ledger accounting software, NetSuite preferred;
- High degree of comfort with a variety of IT systems;
- Expertise in importing and exporting data
September 28, 2017
How to Apply:
Click here to Apply